Monday, July 28, 2008

Little Orphan Sabine

Tell me how you would feel if you were me. I personally find what I'm about to tell you amusing, but on the flip side I do furrow my brow just a little and wonder if I need to make some changes. Sabine's nickname is Bug or Buggy, depending on how sweet I'm being with her. What you'll be reading are some things I may and have said to Sabine:

"Bug, pick up this puzzle please."
"Sabine, make sure you throw your plate in the sink."
"Hey, don't do that to Sarah. It's not nice."
"Buggy, did you hear the buzzer? Time to get off the computer."
"Hey Bug, it's clean up time, okay?"

Each of these sentences lately has brought out the same exact response from Sabine. It is:

"Yeeesss Miss Hannigan!"

As in THE Miss Hannigan from the movie Annie. You know the same one who calls the orphan girls "little pig droppings" and picks them up be their hair and ears. The same one who sloshes her way around the building in a drunken stooper barking orders at the girls. The one who throws herself at Mr. Bundles and the police officer. The same one who TEARS a head off of a babydoll. Surely Sabine cannot be calling me by that woman's name. But alas, she is. And she drags it out when she says it, just like Annie and the girls do. I laugh when she says it, but I can't believe she calls me that. She must be seeing something that is the same between us to do that. Also, she hasn't seen that movie in months so it's not like her memory was refreshed. Do I sound like her? Do I actually bark orders and act as if I am the only person that matters? I don't think I do, but maybe I'm wrong. What would you think if your child started calling you Miss Hannigan? For now, I'm laughing.
This can't be me!

4 comments:

Sally said...

It's because you are drunk all the time. Time for an intervention.

Paige said...

Girls, what do we say????

I LOVE YOU MISS HANNIGAN!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the way you look in the morning.

Cathy said...

That is so funny! I just bought Annie for my kids...so seeing that picture made me laugh...thinking of you walking around in a drunken stupor swatting the girls. (That's how it is, right)!