Sunday, July 27, 2008
Help Me
I don't cook. Ever. Well, I guess if you count the twice a year that I make spaghetti, I do cook. But really I don't. I prepare food for my kids, which I've mentioned on my blog before. You remember how I said I make them three meals a day, and throw those same three meals in the garbage a 1/2 hour later? One of the sisters from my church that I visit, told me that "my sickly looking child (Sabine) could use some protein and soy milk." Does anyone else think she looks sickly or pale? Anyway, my point is that I do think my kids need a better spread of food than they are getting because I actually worry about them being malnourished. I know, they aren't even close, but I can still worry. Here's the problem. What do you feed kids (when you don't cook) that are stuck on Mac-n-cheese, dino nuggets, hotdogs and PB&J sandwiches. Throw in a few fruits and veggies and the occasional scrambled egg and that's our main list. I do try to switch it up but when I try something new, they usually won't go for it. Here's where you, my 5 readers, come in. Please comment and leave me ideas. They HAVE to be easy, quick and within my range of kitchen skills (which is zero). What do your kids eat? I'm looking for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas. Please don't mention beef recipes or ideas. I don't eat meat and it gags me to even heat up a hotdog for Sabine. Sabine. I should mention that she is actually a fabulous eater, but I need some new ideas for her because she is getting bored with the food I serve. And I'm bored with preparing the same things. Anyone with ideas for an 18 month old, PLEASE share. Also if you lurk on my blog and don't comment, this is your chance because I'm desperate. Remember, NO:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Breakfast: oatmeal, toast with jam, cereal, scrambled eggs. Lunch: fruit, yogurt, bean and bacon soup (protein!), grilled cheese. Those are just some of Emma's favs. I can't think of them all right now. I'll leave another comment if I do.
Get bags of ravioli, taquitos etc. from Costco. BBQ some chicken. Make homemade soups. Start making meals that you all eat. Make cooking a habit and you'll get used to it.:)
Eggo makes whole grain waffles- easy to choke down with syrup. I also buy the already cooked roasted chicken at Safeway once a week so they get protein at dinner if I'm not making eggs. Cold cuts are good too. Lots of whole fat Yo Baby yogurt.
I don't cook either. Why should I? No hubby to eat it during the week, and he likes to cook on the weekend.
The whole reason we go to church on Sunday is so old ladies can say mean things to us. They ask me frequently if I'm expecting again. They can suck it.
AND FLINTSTONES WITH IRON. They make up for all missing nutrients.
that picture of meat is sick. Also, burritos- get the can of beans, put some on a tortilla with some cheese you bought already shredded, and it's gourmet. Heat in microwave- not in a pan because then you have to wash the pan. Serve on paper towel so don't have to wash a plate.
Just take them to McDonalds every day. They'll get plenty of protein!
Hi! I'm back! Did you miss me???
I don't have great meal ideas. I just have a question. Didn't you say Amazing Race starts Sept 27 or something? I think you need to knock 30 or so days off your counter. Just sayin'...
Annie likes bowls of cereal with bananas in it, scrambled eggs and bratwurst for b-fast. Just kidding about the sausage.
She loves veggie soups (any soups really), chili, any type of lunch meat (this is a good one, just tear it into pieces), yogurt, crackers with cream cheese on them, bagels and cream cheese for lunch.
You should make mom's spaghetti sauce for your family, use ground pork or turkey in it if beef grosses you out. You can set some aside for yourself before the meat goes in so you can eat it too. Taco soup is easy, and you can leave the meat out and it's still good.
Big Mama, you're such a homemaking cook, it's bringing tears to my eyes!
My kids will eat pretzels and cream cheese, quesadillas (cheese melted in a tortilla and folded in half), spoons of PB, celery and PB, key lime pie Yoplait, grilled cheese, ramen noodles, Pasta-Roni white shells and cheese (so much better than mac and cheese). But our main staple, and it's not that healthy but it's chock full of calories, is Nutella. They eat it on everything.
My kids like cereals with milk, fruits yogurt, homemade soup (zuchini, tomato, carotts, it's easy to do), for the proteins, you can make fish (have you fish sticks? they really like it with "puré" I don't know how to say it in english, sorry! In place of meat, if you find it, quorn or soja steaks (veggie meal) are really good. You can make a spaghetti sauce with quorn. It's good, cholesterol arm, and calorie arme!
Post a Comment