Sunday, January 20, 2008
Three cheers for Thomas Edison!
Now, in case you need a brief history lesson (Michele), good ol' Tommy invented the light bulb. I am eternally grateful to him. If there was one single person who invented electricity, I would give three cheers to him (or her) too! My family and I had a lovely dinner at our friends, the Wycoff's (hi Paige) last night. We left in good spirits and then got home at 8:20 only to realize we had zippo power. Zilch, nada, nuthin'. PG&E was already there working on it. I do NOT know how people lived without light. We couldn't do anything. I had to use my cellphone to find matches to light my candles. Forget a flashlight, I won't even pretend that we have one. We put Sarah to bed and then the three of us sat and stared at each other for two minutes before Matthew announced he and Sabine were going to Safeway to get a DVD because he was bored. I of course wondered out loud how, exactly was he going to watch the DVD? On his laptop of course. So off they go leaving me alone in this dark expanse of my home. After being alone for 1 minute I pulled out Matthew's laptop to check my email, only to find out, like duh!, there isn't any internet either. Seriously, this is why back in the day, before lightbulbs, families had like 15 children, the parents were bored. Then I attempted to read my book (i was in some serious denial here) for about 2 minutes before my eyes almost fell out of my head. Matthew got home and I gave up and went to bed, since we're not ready for more children. I slept fitfully waiting for the surge of power to commence and finally I drifted off. It came back on at 6:30 this morning, thank goodness. By that time it was like 40 degrees in our house and for some reason Sarah was in our bed and had been for 3 hours. Her 7 chattering teeth probably rattled her awake. I didn't realize what a technology, electricity hog I was. I'm addicted to it. I mean, I actually had to wait till morning to check my email. Can you imagine the stress I was feeling? So what did I learn? I neeeed to buy a flashlight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi! Go ahead and buy a flashlight, but it will be dead by tomorrow because Sabine will find it and accidentally leave it on. I have 10. They are all dead. I give up. Hope you are feeling better! We missed you today.
Post a Comment