Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Okay, now I'm just scared!

I find fruit flies and ants, the tiniest bugs out there, very bothersome. I, like many people, really hate bugs. They scare me, they are crawly and some can bite and sting. The bigger the bug, the worse my fear. So imagine how I was feeling last Thursday (my birthday) when I had a run in with a Praying Mantis. I do not like Praying Mantis'. They scare me because they are huge and leggy and creepy.
My children turned up their noses to yet another breakfast so I rewarded them with Popsicles which they ate outside. I went out to check on them and clean them off, wearing a very green shirt. I'm sure when that Mantis saw me walk out he thought he had hit pay dirt as far as camoflouging himself went. I'm sure he flew onto me as soon as I was out there, but I didn't find him until I was inside. I got the kids in the door and was turning around to say something to Sabine when I noticed a huge critter on my shirt in the boob area. I did not want to full on look down because I didn't want to see what it was, but I had to. When I looked down I freaked out to say the least and started in on my screaming and jumping and dancing and body slamming that bug off of me. He survived my hands and flew to our entry table. I made Sabine interupt Matthew in the bathroom to come save us. When he assessed the bug's condition, it was missing 2 of its right legs. Then I felt bad. Here he is:He was put outside to go live in peace and I went to shower. And that's where I realized that that wasn't just a Praying Mantis. I was pretty sure it was my Dad's funny and jokster way of telling me Happy Birthday. He sent me a big, huge bug to visit me and I clobbered him. I realize this is just speculation but I am on a constant watch out for my Dad being around and present in my life. So am I silly in thinking that? Maybe, but it made me feel better that day to think that my Dad sent me birthday wishes. And I went with that until Sunday. That's when I really got scared.

I was going outside to pile my 40 church bags into the car and I wasn't even one foot out the door when I saw this fella just waiting for me:

He is huge. This picture doesn't quite capture his largeness. I had a major case of the shivers and chills and had to find a way to herd the children around him. He would follow our movements. He would turn his entire body in whatever direction we went. It was creepy. I spoke to him and told him to go away. He was making me late for church. It took us ten minutes to get everything in the car and on our way because I had to keep such an eye on him. Then as soon as I pulled away, he flew into the bushes.

Now I'm borderline obsessed. Whenever I leave the house I keep an eye out for him. That same day I hunted for him so I knew of his whereabouts and I found him in the brush:


He stayed there for three days. Now he's gone and that worries me. I liked it better when I could see him everyday. Where is he lurking? It makes me nervous just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Um, tell Dad I said "hi"?

J said...

I'm with ya on the whole bug thing, gross!