Saturday, June 28, 2008

Smoke Get in Your Eyes or Smoky Eyes or any other Smoke related saying!

I'm a sunshine person. I wait all Winter for sunny Summer days. On the flip side I do not like cold, rainy weather. I especially like clear skies with a big, bright sun sitting in it. That's why this week has been the pits. The sky is so smoky that I haven't really seen the sun in a week. I can see it trying to break through the smoke, but no such luck. This smoke, when is it going to go AWAY? My poor kids have been inside for most of this week because of it. When I go out for even a 1/2 an hour, I get a scratchy throat, watery eyes and a runny nose. The news people tell us to stay inside. One day there were even ashes floating through the air. Yuck. The day the sun comes back, I may just spend the whole day outside and make up for lost time. I attempted to get some pics of the smoke. It was hard and these are crappy ones but these were taken at 6:40 PM:
This one I took on the freeway. See the sun in the upper right hand corner?:

So yesterday, after a week inside, I took my kids to a cool place. We went to Cull Canyon Recreation Area where they have a swim lagoon. It's manmade and it's chlorinated. It's great for little kids and the sand is not the annoying sticky type. It's crushed rocks that slide right off you. Sarah was kind of grumpy because she hates sand. She calmed down after I set her up at the water's edge to collect rocks in a cup. Sabine was very daring and would wade out to her waist without me. She would run away from waves (ripples made by other people) and find safety on the beach. We had lunch and played with sand toys. We went with other Moms and kids from our ward. We were a pretty big group. My friend Barbara thought we deserved our own beach space because we were getting run over by camp groups, so she made it happen. We packed up our stuff and moved to our own spot of (closed) beach where the little kids were much happier. It was fun. Here are pics:

Sarah was NOT going to get off the towel. Even to play:
This took some work from me, but she adjusted to the sand to play with rocks. She WOULD NOT look at me. Mad!:After awhile, she cheered up. Cheese!:
I promise my bathing suit covers well. This is a bad angle:

Sabine always has fun:
Wakeboarding:
Her best "older" friend at church, Taylor. Sabine loves her:

A word about my old camera: In blogging you sometimes post alot of pictures. With my old camera, pictures would upload onto my page in a nano-second because the pixel count was so low. With my new camera, pictures take about 30 second to upload because it's a better camera. I LOVE my new camera, BUT I miss the old one for it's crappy pixel count because it was easier to post. That's right, I miss that peice of junk.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Your bathing suit probably does cover pretty well. How come you weren't wearing it? ;-)

Looks like a fun time for the girls!!

Caitlin said...

I have to ask...were you driving when you took that second smoke picture? I think you were.

Shauna said...

Caitlin-
A true blogger never reveals her secrets.

Anonymous said...

are you seriously trying to say that the bathing suit that "covered" you out here at Snowbird is the one you claim covered you yesterday???!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. We had a good time at the resivoir with you guys.

nocramponsinthehouse said...

Love the pics hate the download time... There is a resolution setting on that fine new camera. The settings are typically 640x480, 1 Meg, 2 Meg etc. The 1 meg setting is overkill for blogging so it would work spectacular and download in a jiff. Second you can always download ultra resolution images in a batch and then convert to lower resolution for blogging. Just ask me how after I wake up on your living room floor on the 4th of July.