Sunday, December 23, 2007

My Christmas present

Matthew and I went to see the San Francisco Nutcracker last night. Well actually, I saw the Nutcracker. Matthew took a nap. Anyway, it was a really good performance. When we we're walking in through the grand doors, there was a huge, can't miss it sign that said there would be a cannon fired during the ballet. When I saw Matthew sleeping, and then watched as the cannon got rolled out, I glanced over to make sure he was still asleep. He was, much to my delight. I was so excited for them to shoot the cannon, I got impatient when they waited a whole 30 seconds to do it. Didn't they know I was up there being mean and needed them to just do it already before he woke up. So as you could imagine, when the cannon did fire, and Matthew jumped 5 feet out of his chair, I had a very large grin taking up my entire face. That was probably the highlight of my night. That's not to say I didn't love the show, because I did. The War Memorial Opera House is beautiful inside. I had plenty of time to notice. Our 7:00 show started at 7:40 because of technical problems. But that was okay, because we got an impromptu orchestra Christmas concert while we waited. But it was hard to fully relax with my indigestion. Matthew and I got to the theatre with exactly one half hour to kill, and we were hungry. So we huffed it up 6 city blocks, uphill, in my knee length boots, to get Mel's Diner for dinner. We placed our order at 6:40, had it in our hands at 6:45, and walked back to the theatre eating our fries and sandwiches out of to-go containers. We didn't order drinks because we each only have two hands. We rammed the last of our food into our mouths (literally, I was gagging down fries) and ran in to take our seats. So now with indigestion we listen to pretty music until the kinks are fixed. Itwas a nice evening. If you've never seen The Nutcracker, give it a try. It's a great ballet.

No comments: