Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Killing deer, and other small stuff!

Ever killed a deer with your car? Up until tonight I could have said "nope!". Pregnant squirrel? Sure, been there done that. But this was a first. For both me and the deer. So I had to drive on a dark, windy deer infested road to our chapel to give Matthew the keys to the scouting closet. That's why in the end, this can all be blamed on Matthew, who forgot the keys in the first place. So merrily we go along listening to none other than Johnny Mathis, when a deer decides to give it a go. He jumped out of NOWHERE! I didn't even have time to react or anything and wasn't even absolutely positive I had hit a deer till I saw it get thrown to the side of the road by my car. I pulled over onto a side road where the car behind me came to make sure I was okay, and tell me the deer was dead. Oh, and that along with deer parts, I had left car parts as well. So I went back to see if 1. he really was dead and 2. to see if I had to pick up a fender or something. So after assesing the crime scene, I called 911 to let them know there was a dead deer in the road and could they please come get it. All this and I hadn't even reached my destination yet. So I somehow drive the remaining 6 miles on this road and get to the church where I crumple and cry on Matthew. Which in turn got Sabine crying, which was worse than anything!!! She kept saying she was sad because I was. She also kept asking me if I wanted my mommy. Which of course made me cry harder because she was barely able to get the words out through her tears. So Matthew had to go inside and do his calling so I left in my distraught state and cried most of the way home (15 miles). But this is the best; Sabine, all the way home, while she was crying with me, kept asking me "where that deer mama and dada?" Oh boy! I kept telling Sabine the deer was fine and that he went home to go sleepies. And then she would say "Mama, that deer go hop, hop, hop!" She didn't even see the deer. She in fact knew nothing until Matthew, after I quietly told him what had happened, said to Sabine "did Mama hit a deer?" That was his way of soothing her after the two of us went into crying fits. Anyway, that poor deer! I feel so bad. It was a really small deer, which is why it didn't go through my windshield, thank goodness. I'll spare you and not post a picture of the deer hair stuck to my car. His antlers left a whole in the fender, I'm not even kidding. And the front grill is gone, so we have a very exposed radiator. So, what did you all do tonight?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok....that is by far one of the funniest things I've read in a long time!!!!! I wish I could duplicate Sabine.

Caitlin said...

That's so sad. Poor deer. Atleast it didn't hurt you guys or your car!