Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thanks To Me

When I got back from Christmas vacation, I made a list of those that were getting a thankyou note from me. I started them a week and a half ago and just barely finished them today. Now, there were only 9 of them but for some reason I found them hard to get written and in the mail. I finally got them sent out today so if you think you deserve a t-note from me, it should be in your mailbox soon.

Oooo, which one are you gonna get?I'm a firm believer in sending out a thankyou note promptly, when thanks is due. Which brings me to the point of my post tonight- I write alot of thankyou notes. And I mean alot. This last year (2008) alone, I'd guess that I've easily sent out 50 thankyous. That would include the ones that I have my kids do for birthday gifts and such. I have them draw or paint and then I sign their name. When my dad died, I think I sent out 20 thankyou notes in the the weeks that followed. Alot of times I feel as though a note is somehow so inadequate. It really is the least I could do to show people I'm thankful for their actions, deeds, thoughts, service and prayers. I have received so much by way of acts of kindness from so many people this year, it's overwhelming. Which brings me to my next point.

This past year (again 2008) I have received, oh about 4 or 5 thankyou notes. That makes me feel VERY sheepish. Some of these notes are from the same people so you could say I have helped 3 people that required some sort of service from me last year. I am capable of soooo much more than that and when I realized how short I have fallen of helping others, I was embarrassed for myself. I don't consider myself a very selfish person, but maybe I'm rethinking that. It's not that I want to receive a thankyou note so that I can feel good about myself. It's that I need to do more for other people. I need to not assume that everyone else is going to feed the family with the new baby. I need to sign my name to more lists that are passed around chirch. And I wouldn't be overwhelming myself by doing that, I would be doing my part. If I were a goal oriented person I would make a goal of how many acts of service or kindness I want to perform this year, but I'm not. So I'm just going to try harder to step in when I see that something needs to be done or that someone needs help. I don't care if I get thankyou notes for doing these things. I need to just know for myself that I'm helping and taking care of others. As so many of you have done for me my whole life. And I thank you!

3 comments:

J said...

Nice thought. I too need to do more for others. Especially after all the help I got from everyone after having the boys!

Paige said...

You are not off my sidebar. It only shows the most recent posters. That is not you. Update and you are there again!

Anonymous said...

I got mine...Thanks!