I didn't get to talk to my dad before he died. We had talked about 2 weeks before and he was telling me all about the surgery he was going to have to fix his troubled heart. Had I known that was my last conversation with him I would have said a few things other than "What, you have to get admitted to the hospital to get any attention?" I think I would have thanked him for being my dad. I'd have told him that all of my good memories of him cancel out any of the bad. I would have kept him on the phone for longer than 15 minutes...all day maybe. I wouldn't have hung up until I was sure he KNEW how much I loved him and how lucky I was to have had HIM as my dad. He was always my friend. Always, even when I wasn't his.
I miss my dad today. I want to tell him Happy Birthday. I want to tell him that his life was important to everyone that knew him. But mostly that I just miss him. This picture is of his 40th birthday party (I'm pretty sure anyway) where there were lots of jokes about buzzards circling over head. He was always a goofball and I think this picture makes that clear. Happy Birthday dad!

5 comments:
That was a sweet blog.....
Hey add me to your friends list here... ;)
sarahlarsen.blogspot
So sweet!
That was a nice post, Shaun. And just to clear things up, his Fribble of choice was vanilla with caramel mixed in. But, no biggie. :)
Nice post! I invited my friend, Clarita, out for a birthday celebration with me. We walked down the pier and had lunch at Ruby's at the end of the pier. There were three pelicans just sitting on the pier, staring at everybody. Dad would have been riveted for hours. Clarita had to drag me away. It was a great time!
Then we got lunch. Absolutely nothing went right; the food was so-so, the service was terrible, the prices were eye-popping, I spilled my milk shake all over me and the table and the floor, a cold marine layer blew in 10 minutes into our lunch, etc. It was so bad it was funny, and I knew dad was laughing the whole time.
That was a touching tribute to your dad. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday to him. :)
Post a Comment