Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Sunbeam

**This is the updated version to the post because I left out the funniest part by accident** Sunday was an emotional day for me. I held back alot of tears because if I got started I wouldn't stop. Sabine had her first day in Primary and I was both happy and sad about it. It's okay that she's getting older but mostly I just hate it. How is she in Primary? She was just born! In the bag that she's holding in her picture are scriptures and an unsharpened pencil. She asked me repeatedly to "open" her pencil for her. She was excited about her big day and I had fun watching her from my piano bench in the Primary room. She sat there the whole time with her mouth gaping open in pure delight. She loved the music, the bustle of activity and she waved to me every 5 minutes. So cute! She got to go up front while everyone sang "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam". I stole this picture from Paige:The best part of the day was in our first meeting though. We have sacrament meeting first and Sabine decided to bear her testimony. I got her to be quiet by pointing out a 6 year old bearing his testimony and that was the end of that. She HAD to go up there and "say something". She had me in a cold sweat for 10 minutes as I tried to talk her out of it. I was hoping she would just give up. I asked her what she would say and she told me I would just "see when she got up there." After every person she would say "Mooooommm, when is it MY turn? I have something to say!" Well, finally a man left the pulpit after his turn and Sabine got up off the bench and went right on up there with me stumbling to catch up to her. I thought for sure that we would get up there and she would clam up and leave me to do the job for her. So I picked her up and whispered for her to say "I love Jesus." I should mention that I did all of this in a fit of horrible giggles. The kind that make you sweat and turn red because you know you shouldn't be laughing. Anyway, she started saying what I told her to and then she just took off from there saying what she wanted to say. This is what I'm pretty sure she said although I can't be sure because I was a nervous wreck, and sweating and my ears were ringing and I felt as if I was levitating off of the ground- "I love Jesus and I love him in the Summertime and I know that he loves me in the Summertime too." I died right then. I was so proud and emotional and sweating. Did I already mention that I was sweating? I loudly and full of giggles, whispered in her ear how to end her testimony and she did just that. I put her down and as she walked off to our bench, Sarah, very loudy proclaimed from her seat "MY TURN!", which made the congregation laugh right along with me. I was left there to apologize to the congregation about my laughing and I too, bore a short testimony. Her friend, Bea went next and when she sat down Sabine told me that she has something else to say. I wanted to seatbelt her to the beach. It's pretty much a guarantee that she will be doing this every month. I'm okay with that, but I will be sending her up there by herself because she'll do better by herself. In Primary, one of the children gave a talk and as soon as she sat down Sabine came running over to me and said "Mommy, I need to go up there and say something." Ay-yi-yi!
It was a hard Sunday for Sarah. She had a new leader in the Nursery and Sabine wasn't there to be with her. It was the first time they have ever had to come find us in class because Sarah was upset and crying. I felt badly for her. She missed Sabine and Sister Bridge. But she bounces back pretty quickly from changes like that so next week should be better.

8 comments:

jhoopes said...

This post had me totally laughing!!! Such a sweet story of Sabine, but the way you told it was cracking me up!! How fun that she is a Sunbeam now!! And I didn't know you played the piano...I don't think I knew that anyway. You've got a pretty good job there!

Anonymous said...

The cutest part was after Sabine said "Amen", Sarah yelled from the second row (with binky in mouth) "Ih turn!" and the entire congregation laughed unanimously. Shauna really was nervous I'm not sure she even noticed. Good job Sabine and good job Shauna.

Sarah Larsen said...

HILARIOUS!!!!!!! And I like to think that you loved our time TOGETHER with the good dr.so much that you named your daughter after me!!!!! hahaha

Sally said...

What a great post! I am bummed that I wasn't there to see the testimony. Bummed Benj wasn't there to be inspired and have his turn.

Your girls are so cute. We miss them.

Kristin said...

That was awesome. I laughed, I cried. I laughed while I cried. It's one of those things in life that you hear about, and if there could be a replay, you'd pay good money to be there.

Good thing Sabine has a mom like you to help her through those rough spots.

Anonymous said...

Sabine could probably speak in Stake Conference better than some adults.

Anonymous said...

And just to add..after Sabines talk Sarah would be running around saying "I DID IT....I DID IT" while collecting high fives.

Paige said...

Love her. So glad they are friends. And we are too.