Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cheery Cherry Picking


Posting this a week late but who's keeping track?

If you know me you know that I have mayjah disdain for cherries. It comes from a childhood spent in an awful dental office with a cruel doctor who had extremly bad breathe (this was before masks and gloves. gross.). I spent some hard time in his chair and he always used cherry topical gel before he rammed my mouth with the needle telling me to "sit still and stop crying!" As I grew into adulthood I brought with me a hatred for all things cherry. When I would eat something cherry (usually without knowing it) my tounge would go numb. This fruit is right up there with tomatos in a short list of foods I will not eat.

Alas, I had children and when that happens you change some things in your life. Like when last week I actually suggested to Matthew that we take the girls cherry picking. I wanted them to experience the fun of it and see that fruit doesn't come from hard plastic containers stacked neatly in the grocery store or magically appear on your counter.
And we had SO much fun. I loved watching the girls pick and run around finding fruit that was low enough to get their hands on. Between the two of them they picked 6 pounds in an hour. They didn't eat a single cherry while they picked. Instead they would pick and direct me to catch them on film. So cute. They had their own buckets and left with 3 pounds each in a brown paper bag.

But guess what?? As they picked, I got curious about the cherries and started eating them. I didn't just have a few either. I ate the whole time they picked. My tounge didn't go numb, which I thought was a miracle. Maybe I'm over the psychological trauma of Dr. N. At home I had 6 pounds of cherries to deal with. We gave some away and kept the rest. So with 4 pounds of cherries on my counter, I had a lot of eating to do. And I did. Sarah had about 3 cherries because she couldn't figure out the pit and ended up swallowing them. That was the end of cherries for her. Sabine ate a handful and Matthew claims to have done his part. In the end, I, the cherry hater, ate 4 pounds of cherries.

If you live in the Bay Area, I highly recommend this activity for your kiddos. It was fun and educational.

To end on a cherry note- I think maraschino cherries are an abomination and no one should eat them. They are puke worthy.

4 comments:

Sally said...

That sounds fun!

I love maraschino cherries. Someday you will, too.

Cathy said...

That sounds so fun. Cute pictures! I can't believe you ate 4 pounds of cherries. And maraschino cherries are disgusting..I always give mine to Stephen.

Paige said...

We were there the same day after you. We got 30 lbs. When you're sliding into first and you think you're gonna burst....

seriously, this family has problems now.

Shauna said...

I'd like to add to Paige's comment and say that I was actually kind of hoping for some "problems". Pregnancy messes with certain functions...I'd like to slide into first.