Friday, May 29, 2009

Ahh, Melt My Heart

Allow me to set the stage for the coming forth of words from Sarah's mouth that caused my heart to quiver.

My sweet children were happily playing Doctor on the couch this evening while watching "Alvin and the Chipmunks." Both in jammies and looking too cute. Sarah was a very sick baby at the hospital and Sabine was both, Dr. and Sarah's mommy. The game went on for about 1/2 an hour when I went over to pull Sarah's mop of hair into her bedtime ponytail. I sat down and said "Sabine, you're such a good mommy to Sarah." To which Sarah replied to me-


"You're a good mommy too."


That's when my heart melted and quivered and I said "I am?" and she nodded her head yes and said "uh-huh."


My 2 year old told me I'm a good mommy!! It has been a long time since I have felt so validated. And by a 2 year old. I was riding high on that comment for the next hour before bed. I had all the patience in the world and held it together perfectly for bedtime (which is when I usually have my daily meltdown).


It was so nice to get an unsolicited comment from my kids. Sometimes (this is sad and depressing) I say to my kids "Who loves mommy?", just to hear them say that they do. Because somedays I feel like those two are against me. Not intentionally but just because they are a strong force to be reckoned with.
She thinks I'm a good mommy, *sigh*-

2 comments:

Sally said...

You ARE a good mommy! in fact you are a great mommy. Sweet little Sarah.

Benji told me the other day:
"Mommy, you the cutest mommy evoh". Like you, it helped me power through the rest of the day. :)

Paige said...

It's true about you being a good mommy. It makes me want to cry when I hear my kids talk about how they want to be a mommy too because it's so fun! It's true, it is!