Tuesday, September 8, 2009

1st Day of School

Today was the first day of school. Sabine's 2nd year and Sarah's 1st year. They were both really excited, as was I. Last night I was in the kitchen putzing around while the girls ate some dinner and I all of a sudden got anxious/excited/sad about them starting school. So I said "Ah, I'm so excited for you guys to start school tomorrow!" And Sabine said back to me- "Mom, your just excited to get Sarah out of the house." And she said it with a sideways glance and a voice that let me know she knew the real reason for my excitement. I stood corrected. And she was right, actually. I was excited to get Sarah out of the house (she needs the social interaction) but now I'm just sad. It's quiet around here. I'm not bored but I feel empty. I feel like I'm missing an arm or something. I held back all the crying I felt like doing this morning because once I start I don't stop. I emptied the dishwasher this morning without being interrupted to cut up an apple or pour some milk or wipe a bum. It was nice. But I can't wait to go get them and hear about their first day back. It's going to be a good year!

4 comments:

Cathy said...

They will love it! Love Sabine's new haircut.

J said...

Such big girls and so cute. Where does the time go???

Aunna said...

Very sweet! My kids are older and I still miss them the 1st few days back!

Sally said...

Yay for preschool and kids out of the house (even if only for a short time!)!

How cute your girls are! I love Sabine's hair. They are adorable.